Learn More About the Auto Insurance Coverages We Offer

Understanding different types of coverage is important for making sure you get the insurance you want. Together we can make sure you have the coverage you want. Below are brief descriptions of some of the coverages we offer.
Girl Sitting at Desk with Laptop
Liability Coverage - This coverage is required by State Law

In order to legally operate a motor vehicle we all must comply with state financial responsibility laws and purchase liability (bodily injury and property damage) coverage.  The minimum limits vary by state, e.g., in California the minimum limits are $15,000/$30,000/$5000 (aka 15/30/5).

  • If an insured has 15/30 bodily injury coverage, the insurance will pay up to $15000 per covered person for bodily injury and up to $30000 in total for all covered persons per accident.
  • If an insured has $5,000 property damage coverage, the insurance will pay up to $5000 per covered accident for property damage.

Liability insurance covers other injured parties involved in an accident where the insured is at fault and legally liable.  It does not pay for injuries or damages suffered by the insured. The insured may have the option to increase the limits of liability depending on the insurance carrier.

Comprehensive and Collision Coverage - This coverage is not required by law.

These coverages may be required by the lender when a vehicle is being financed or leased. Many insureds who own their cars themselves may choose to purchase these coverages.  While comprehensive and collision are two separate coverages, most companies require you to purchase them together or not at all.

Comprehensive coverage covers damage to your insured vehicle caused by something other than a collision, e.g., falling objects, fire, theft or larceny, explosion, earthquake, windstorm, hail, water, flood, malicious mischief, or vandalism.

Collision coverage covers damage to the impact of your insured automobile caused by impact with another object or upset of your insured automobile.

The insurance company will pay for the actual damage to the vehicle, less any deductibles, up to the policy limits or the actual value of the vehicle (whichever is less) at the time of the loss.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage - This coverage is not required by law.

This coverage can help protect an insured when he is involved in an accident with another driver who is found to be at fault for an accident but has no liability insurance.  There are two separate uninsured motorist coverages that an insured can purchase – bodily injury (medical payments) and property damage.  This coverage will pay up to $3,500 to cover usual and customary charges for reasonable medical expenses incurred by an insured or other persons riding with the insured due to a covered accident.

Non-Owner Policies

This is a policy that may be required by the state for individuals who do not own or have regular use of a vehicle.  This policy would typically be issued to someone who needs an SR filing, which requires proof of insurance, in order to get their driver’s license reinstated.  Note that this policy provides very limited insurance coverage.